About the Role:
The DHSZ Art department continues to set the standard for excellence and innovation in international art education in China. We strongly believe in nurturing student’s creative ideas and interests by providing a safe learning environment where every student can develop and grow with the support of a dedicated specialist teacher. Our values are hinged around the pursuit of excellence through kindness, respect, and patience. Well-resourced facilities include individual studio spaces for Senior Art students, whilst the four floors of our school provide an extensive gallery for our student work. Our faculty come from a wide range of educational and industrial backgrounds, and collaborate closely to enhance the student learning experience. Over 40% of students choose Art at the IGCSE level and over 25 students each year are supported to progress onto related programmes at top universities and colleges worldwide. We follow the A Level and IGCSE programs for graphic communication and fine art and we are looking for an adaptable educator who values professional development and is willing to broaden their own skill set.
We are therefore seeking a highly effective, dynamic, and committed graphic communication teacher able to inspire our talented students with a genuine commitment to their academic and personal development and make a considerable contribution to our thriving department.
Experience of teaching graphic communication underpinned with fine art skills is highly desirable.
Start date: January 2022 or August 2022 (may be the possibility of an earlier start for the right candidate.)
Note: Due to the ongoing COVID situation, we are regrettably only able to consider candidates who are either already in China or who are able to travel to China without the need for visa formalities, such as Chinese passport holders. Candidates outside China may apply, however their applications will only be considered once there is clarity about the resumption of international travel.
Dulwich International High School, Suzhou is the school of choice in Suzhou for Chinese parents who wish their children to gain the skills and education necessary for them to be successful in non-Chinese universities. The major destinations for all of our students is the USA and the UK. Our school is home to almost 800 students who study IGCSE and A levels. Our students ask for excellence in teaching and they work hard to achieve offers from their universities of choice.
Our offering is largely academic concentrating on STEAM subjects with an outstanding visual arts component which is becoming more popular as it gains in recognition. Because we believe in developing the whole child, we also have a thriving co-curricular programme in which all students and all teachers participate.
Suzhou is known as the “Venice of the East”. It has a long and colourful history based around the waterways in the province. Much of Suzhou is designed around the lakes and canal system and it makes for wonderful walking, cycling and exercising opportunities. Suzhou is a vibrant city that with an enriching arts and performing culture that also offers many scenic areas of peace and tranquillity. Public transport is cheap and easy to use. The city is also one of the most multi-cultural in China and offers food and drink from all around the world.
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE:
DHSZ is a well-resourced school with highly motivated and academically successful students. Successful applicants will be enthusiastic about the ethos and values of Dulwich International. An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to the chosen candidate.
The successful candidate must be:
• Passionate about Art & Graphic Design and be able to inspire students to study their subject further
• Capable of delivering Art & Graphic Design knowledge to the depth required at the A2 level
• Successful in showing student progress so that students are fully prepared for external examinations at IGCSE and A level stages
• Experienced (or willing to learn) in using formative assessment in order to advance student learning
• Actively engaged in furthering their own pedagogical knowledge
• Willing to collaborate with a diverse range of teachers in order to create an engaging classroom
• Able to differentiate in order to meet the needs of all students, especially within an EAL environment
Willing to engage in the student’s own culture (Chinese) in order to fully know your students
• Knowledgeable in the latest safeguarding systems in order to ensure student wellbeing
• Eager to fully engage with the students in their Co-curricular activities
• Adaptable in the classroom in order to make full use of educational technology to meet student needs
• Able to demonstrate that they hold the highest expectations of the students and themselves.
How to Apply
To apply for this position you will need to include:
• an application letter
• your CV
• a statement of educational philosophy
• details of three referees from your current and previous employer
Please send all applications to firstname.lastname@example.org