About the Role:
We are looking for a skilful, caring and innovative Head of Physics who can support this team to further elevate all aspects of the student experience. Academics are important, and impressive exam grades are a non-negotiable, however Science education at DHSZ is about so much more than this. The Head of Physics will expertly develop the curriculum and the team so that students have the skills, understandings, and knowledge to apply their learning outside of the classroom and be well-prepared for success at university at beyond. As a school, we seek to embrace emerging technologies to support innovation of learning and we always ensure that students are at the centre of our decision-making processes.
Care for each student, collaboration and continued professional development are key elements of the department. Due to the large size of the Physics department, with 10 members of faculty, the Head of Physics reports directly to the Senior Leadership Team. They work very closely with the Heads of Biology of Chemistry, as we do not have a Head of Science. Our well-resourced labs enable the department to emphasise practical work at all levels.
We are looking for candidates with existing proven leadership experience who are keen to develop further in our school.
Start date: January 2022 or August 2022 (may be the possibility of an earlier start for the right candidate.)
Note: Due to the ongoing COVID situation, we are regrettably only able to consider candidates who are either already in China or who are able to travel to China without the need for visa formalities, such as Chinese passport holders. Candidates outside China may apply, however their applications will only be considered once there is clarity about the resumption of international travel.
Dulwich International High School, Suzhou is the school of choice in Suzhou for Chinese parents who wish their children to gain the skills and education necessary for them to be successful in non-Chinese universities. The major destinations for all of our students is the USA and the UK. Our school is home to almost 800 students who study IGCSE and A levels. Our students ask for excellence in teaching and they work hard to achieve offers from their universities of choice.
Our offering is largely academic concentrating on STEAM subjects with an outstanding visual arts component which is becoming more popular as it gains in recognition. Because we believe in developing the whole child, we also have a thriving co-curricular programme in which all students and all teachers participate.
Suzhou is known as the “Venice of the East”. It has a long and colourful history based around the waterways in the province. Much of Suzhou is designed around the lakes and canal system and it makes for wonderful walking, cycling and exercising opportunities. Suzhou is a vibrant city that with an enriching arts and performing culture that also offers many scenic areas of peace and tranquillity. Public transport is cheap and easy to use. The city is also one of the most multi-cultural in China and offers food and drink from all around the world.
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE:
DHSZ is a well-resourced school with highly motivated and academically successful students. Successful applicants will be enthusiastic about the ethos and values of Dulwich International. An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to the chosen candidate.
The successful candidate must be
• Passionate about Physics and be able to inspire students to study their subject further
• Capable of delivering Physics knowledge to the depth required at the A2 level
• Successful in showing student progress so that students are fully prepared for external examinations at IGCSE and A level stages
• Experienced (or willing to learn) in using formative assessment in order to advance student learning
• Actively engaged in furthering their own pedagogical knowledge
• Willing to collaborate with a diverse range of teachers in order to create an engaging classroom
• Able to differentiate in order to meet the needs of all students, especially within an EAL environment
• Willing to engage in the student’s own culture (Chinese) in order to fully know your students
• Knowledgeable in the latest safeguarding systems in order to ensure student wellbeing
• Eager to fully engage with the students in their Co-curricular activities
• Adaptable in the classroom in order to make full use of educational technology to meet student needs
• Able to demonstrate that they hold the highest expectations of the students and themselves.
How to Apply
To apply for this position you will need to include:
• an application letter
• your CV
• a statement of educational philosophy
• details of three referees from your current and previous employer
Please send all applications to firstname.lastname@example.org